Hair Extension Maintance
- You want to always use a soft bristle brush.
- Brush your hair, starting from the bottom, working your way up slowly and gently.
- When sleeping, you want to use some type of soft band or wrap to tie your hair up.
- If you want your hair extensions a different color, you should have a professional do this, as this is not something to do on your own at home.
- Never spray hair extensions with silicone-based products or conditioners, which could cause the braids to slip and the extensions to fall out.
- To avoid problems with tangling, you can simply run your fingers through the extensions.
A Bit About Hair Extensions
Again, the length of the extensions is up to you although typically, they range anywhere from 26 to 30 inches. If you go longer, the extensions become too heavy, pulling on your hair by the scalp and causing damage.
Remember that the goal with this type of long hair style is to have the extensions look like your own hair. Therefore, extensions of 22 inches or less are generally the best looking.
The price of hair extensions varies, depending the type of extensions you choose.
The length, and the professional doing the work. However, on average you could expect to pay several hundred dollars. Now if you go with the top of the line hair extensions, then you could be spending into the thousands of dollars but to have good results, this is not necessary.
Just as you would with your regular hair, with this type of long hair style, you can wear your hair up or down, whichever you prefer.
The goal is to have the extensions attached lower than your scalp’s base so that whether in a ponytail, French braid, or other hairstyle, the extensions will not show.
If you have any concern about hair extensions hurting, you can rest assured they do not. These long hair styles will need to be braided in firmly so they hold but even so, this does not cause pain. Generally, you will feel a slight tension all over your head but that is all. If you feel anything more, then you should talk to the professional to see if there is a problem. In most cases, after wearing the hair extensions for two to three days, you will know if they feel right or not.
If the hair extensions are added to your hair properly, they will not cause any damage. However, if applied incorrectly, they can pull hair out, or stretch it. For this reason, while you might be tempted to go to someone with a little experience, as a way of saving money, you would be doing yourself a huge favor by spending the money to have the hair extensions done the right way!
Once the extensions are in, you will be amazed at how great this long hair style looks and feels.